Thursday, August 19, 2010

My Upcoming Fantasy Season

I may have been a bit . . . foolhardy.

Here's what happened: last year, I wanted to play fantasy football, but I ran into a bit of the old No Girls Allowed. This stuck in my craw slightly, so in a spirit of "I'll show you! I'LL SHOW ALL OF YOU!" I decided to start my own league this time around. I've cobbled together a few folks, so now I'm going to be a commissioner, even though I've never played before. Unfeminist alert: I figure it will be OK because I can ask my husband questions before I make decisions. (Wow, that came out even more unfeminist than I anticipated.)

(Team name: The Bubby Bristers)

Here's what happened next: I became a big fan of Cris Collinsworth's website, Football Pros Live. (I've also been trying to post on the message boards enough that someday I can write blog posts there, but it turns out I'm not very good at posting on message boards, so that project is coming along slowly.) Many dudes on the boards decided to play fantasy football together, so when the third league came into being, I decided what the hey, I was in. The catch is that they're doing an auction draft. I have--I think--a fairly good idea of how a regular, snake-style draft goes, but auction? I'm in way over my head here. Luckily, this draft is a week after my other draft, so I'll have a little general draft experience under my belt, and I'll have that week to try to figure out what in the world I'm doing. Studying: the answer to all life's problems.

(Team name: The Fightin' AJ Hawks)

Here's what happened after that: one of my friends on Facebook asked her friends at large if anybody would be interested in joining an all-girl fantasy football league. After some internal hemming and hawing, I told her I was in. After all, that's kind of what I wished I could put together in the first place; I just didn't know enough football gals to make it happen. This one is at the opposite end of the pressure spectrum from the FPL draft, since it's auto-pick. (To be honest, I'm almost as flummoxed by that as the auction thing. It's not going to draft me eight wide receivers, is it?)

(Team name: The Larry Fitzjerries)

So there you have it. I'm a fantasy football rookie in three leagues.

Maybe that increases my odds of winning one?

1 comment:

  1. I cannot wait to see how this turns out. Thanks for making me care about football. (Actually, it's 11:55 and I just finished a (freakisly delicious) cocktail of my own creation, so that might have to do a little with me being so excited about this. But it's mostly you.)

    ReplyDelete